Our beloved city’s history dates back to as far as 6th century BCE, when it was a part of the Kalinga kingdom. Every chapter in its history is marked with a success story. And the proof of this ever-growing success lays in Visakhapatnam’s oldest establishments which after all these years manage to be a jewel in the city’s crown and the following are five such establishments.
- St. Aloysius Anglo Indian High School (1847)
St. Aloysius was established in the year 1847 and is the oldest school organization standing in Visakhapatnam, located near the shore line of the city. It faced a lot of hurdles on its way to the top, but strategically overcame every obstacle. It is considered to be one of the best schools in the city.
- Gupta Brothers Books (1916)
The oldest bookstore in Vizag is founded in 1916 and is still running successfully with three branches in the city and also with outlets in states like Orissa, Madhya Pradesh and Tamil Nadu. The journey started with Mr. V. J. Gupta with a goal to cater the needs of the locals.
- Andhra University (1926)
The university was established in 1926, with the motto- “Tejasvi navadhithamastu” (May the divine light illuminate our studies) , by the Madras University Act to serve the linguistic region of Andhra. The campus spans over an area of 620 acres, offering over 50 different courses for its students.
- Visakhapatnam Port (1933)
Visakhapatnam port is one of the 13 major ports in India and the second largest port by the cargo volume handled. With 24 available berths, the port is operated by the Visakhapatnam Port Trust and is owned by the Ministry of Shipping. The estimated revenue of the port is said to be around 600 crore rupees.
- Hindustan Shipyard Ltd (1941)
Founded as the Scindia Shipyard in 1941 by Walchand Hirachand as a part of the Scindia Steam Navigation Company Ltd, is the oldest shipbuilding industry in Visakhapatnam. The foundation stone was laid by Dr. Rajendra Prasad, the acting president at that time. The first ship to be completely constructed in India was built here and was named Jal Usha.